CHICKEN BREAST SANDWICHES WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS, WATERCRESS, AND PAPRIKA AÏOLI
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika*
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for brushing on rolls
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds onions, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise (about 7 cups)
- 3 (8-ounce) skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise in half
- 6 sourdough sandwich rolls or twelve
- 1/2-inch-thick slices sourdough bread
- 3 cups (lightly packed) watercress or arugula
- Whisk first 4 ingredients in small bowl. Gradually whisk in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Aioli can be made 2 days ahead. Cover prepared aioli and chill.
- Heat vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, sprinkle with salt, and cook until beginning to brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook until onions are soft and deep golden brown, stirring often, about 20 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Caramelized onions can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Pound with mallet to 1/3-inch thickness. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill chicken until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to work surface. Brush cut side of rolls with extra-virgin olive oil. Grill rolls, cut side down, until grill marks appear, about 1 minute. Spread rolls with some of aioli. Assemble sandwiches, dividing chicken, caramelized onions, and watercress among rolls. Serve warm.